Windows Update error code 80200010 when installing Security Monthly Quality Rollup

• Thread starter Thread starter D.I.V.
  • Start date Start date
D

D.I.V.

I got the following Windows Update error:

80200010: "You need to connect to the internet to check for updates."

when attempting to install the following update

2021-03 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB5000848)

Download size: 538.9 MB

Update type: Important

Help and Support: March 9, 2021—KB5000848 (Monthly Rollup)

This is a large update, and after about 20–30 minutes the progress bar still showed only 5% completion.

It is a general philosophy that it is safest to close down all (unnecessary) applications when performing an update.

[Even though newer software is better able to update with various applications open than in the past, it may not always be totally reliable, and often will require the applications to eventually be shut down after the update has gone as far as it can, and the application and/or system be restarted/rebooted.]

I use my mobile telephone as a 'hotspot' to provide internet access. Apparently during the "installation" or "downloading" of KB5000848 Windows Update went through an extended period of zero internet usage, causing my internet hotspot to 'time out', because it was not being used!

It's not at all clear what Windows Update is doing during this period — Task Manager shows negligible CPU or disk or network activity — but there's no reason why the updating tool couldn't be written better to prevent the internet access from timing out.

Presumably all it would take would be the addition of a task within the updater that pings the server once every minute or so when an update is in the process of being "downloaded" or "installed".

Of course, I could potentially change the time-out period settings of my hotspot ...but I shouldn't have to.

—DIV

Continue reading...

Back