Windows Server 2019 VSS Errors (Event ID 12293) When Backup Runs

• Thread starter Thread starter Josh Sven
  • Start date Start date
J

Josh Sven

Hello!

I have been experiencing an inconsistent VSS errors on all of our server VM's (mostly Windows Server 2019 run on Hyper-V) when the nightly backup (BackupAssist) task runs. I say inconsistent because the error doesn't happen every night on the same VM. We usually get at least one error on one or two VM's every night. The next night will likely be different VM.

This used to not be an issue about 3-4 months ago. However, no known changes were made. I've tried restarting the VSS Service on the servers 15 minutes before the backup job starts and that seems to make the errors worse (happened more frequently on more VM's).

I've talked with the BackupAssist Support for a couple of weeks because, whenever a server has the VSS error, the backup report shows that there was a warning during the job. BackupAssist Support said that the backups are finishing successfully and that the warning is letting us know that it had to retry a section of the backup because VSS was busy on the specific VM.

The Event ID is 12293 and says the following:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {74600e39-7dc5-4567-a03b-f091d6c7b092}. Routine details PostFinalCommitSnapshots({54f54634-16ea-4a43-8ed3-e06c7ec92461}, 4) [hr = 0x80070020, The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Operation:
Executing Asynchronous Operation

Context:

Current State: DoSnapshotSet

Let me know if you would like any additional information.

Thanks in advance!

Continue reading...

Back