Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) check will not recognise USB 3.0 ports, so no VR

• Thread starter Thread starter q500dude
  • Start date Start date
Q

q500dude

Core i7-8700K -64GB RAM

Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 Z370

NVidia RTX 3070

HP Reverb G2 (Also Oculus Quest 1 using Oculus Link)

Windows 10 20H2 (19042.746) x64

I've been using the HP Reverb for a month or so and before that the Oculus Quest 1 with Oculus Link with minimal problems and just recently WMR USB 3.0 has stopped being recognized giving the Error code 4-1 or 4-4 USB errors.

So I uninstalled the WMR Portal and now I cannot get past the Minimum spec requirement check saying that I have no USB 3.0+ ports or when I start WMR Portal with the Reverb connected it gives the 4-1 or 4-4 errors.

My motherboard ONLY has USB 3.0 ports! Some are even 3.0 version 2.

I've spent hours on the net looking at various solutions/workarounds etc. other than powered USB hubs or PCIe->USB cards.

I've tried

- uninstalling/reinstalling/disabling USB drivers with appropriate reboots.

- ensuring the Microsoft USB drivers are being used for the ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible host controller

- looked at the motherboard manual and seen how all the USB ports are connected (although it seems like none of them say they have high power charging capability so not sure of the power supply availability)

- tried all the USB ports including the USB-C, front panel, all the ones on the back panel

- updated BIOS, INF update, with/without the ASMedia USB drivers installed

- tried the Gigabyte USB Power boost options to give a little more power to the top USB ports

- Windows updates etc. (I have Auto Update ON, so who knows what Microsoft has sent down recently which might have upset things)

- Setting the "AllowFailedSystemChecks" for the FirstRun bypass registry setting for WMR

- tried the Microsoft USB test tool (MUTT) but not sure what I was supposed to be seeing here

It's like Windows just can't tell that I have USB 3.0 ports anymore.

As I've been using the VR for a while in this PC with WMR, SteamVR etc. and it used to pass the WMR check why is it now saying no USB 3.0 ports and not letting me use the VR AT ALL?

Any suggestions?

Continue reading...

Back