Windows Explorer steady 10% CPU usage high RAM usage increases

• Thread starter Thread starter Jim0001
  • Start date Start date
J

Jim0001

I am having an issue on my home PC where Windows Explorer in the task manager is using between 8-10% CPU and RAM increases at a steady rate, I've let it get to 3GB's before I "restarted" it (right now hovering at 8% cpu and the RAM is at1,384.6 and increasing). This just started within the last week, before it would use about 64mb's with little to no cpu usage so I thought I would start the "fix-it" try and finally gave up and ended up here.

What I have done thus far is: Virus/Malware Scan (both windows and malwarebytes came up clean), CCleaner (temp files deletion, reg fixes and such), disc optimization(s), driver/windows update (shows up to date) installs & restart(s) of machine, device manager is clean (no driver update icons, nor error'd items), researched up to 2 years ago worth of "related problems / fixes", unplugged various usb attached items, made sure no missing pictured icons on desktop, deleted "sticky" posts, and cleared action center stuff. That's what I remember doing thus far, there may have been a couple steps i forgotten.

Specs: Windows 10 home, I9-9900k, 32 gb's ram, geforce rtx 2070 (if that matters).

Please keep in mind this just started recently and only thing installed was an Xbox (Beta) game in the last 3 weeks (other than driver / program updates).

**Edit: just did a sfc /scannow: "windows resource protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them" - doing a computer restart now

Continue reading...