Windows Defender in Windows 10 will not turn on.

• Thread starter Thread starter User1010011010
  • Start date Start date
U

User1010011010

Windows Defender in Windows 10 will not turn on.

Note: I just updated from Windows 8.1, which had Windows Defender on before the upgrade and after upgrading it was shut off.

If I open Windows Defender and click the 'Start now' button, it takes about two minutes before giving me the message, "The service couldn't be started. This operation returned because the timeout period expired. Click Help for more information about this problem." and Support information contains 'Error code: 0x800705b4' with no help.

The virus and spyware definitions are Out of date. If I go to [Settings->Update & security->Check for updates] I'll receive this message, "There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: • Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.205.83.0) - Error 0x80070643' with Retry button that repeats problem.

So I went to [Settings->Windows Defender] and the option for Real-time protection is greyed out on 'On'. Cloud-based Protection is greyed out on 'Off', Sample submission is greyed out on 'Off' and Version info is Antimalware client version: 4.8.10240.16384

I've tried going to Services and attempting to start 'Windows Defender Service' and receive notification "The Windows Defender Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs." Note: the 'Windows Defender Network Inspection Service' does run and doesn't shut off.

I've opened Services as Administrator and attempted to start 'Windows Defender Service' with receiving the alert message, "Windows could not start the Windows Defender Service service on Local Computer. Error 0x80070005: Access is denied."

Windows edition is Windows 10 Pro.

Windows activation shows that Windows is activated.

I've tried the solutions found here:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5918-windows-defender-turn-off-windows-10-a.html?#option1s8

The group policy and registry key did not work.

I'm a developer that mostly works on OS X or a Linux distro but I do use Windows when testing products on Windows.

Since, I only use Windows for testing my own code on the platform, my Windows environment has very few programs and no Anti Virus is installed.

Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks for your time.

Continue reading...

Back