Windows 8.1 Recurring BSOD Trouble

• Thread starter Thread starter PooyanCyrus
  • Start date Start date
P

PooyanCyrus

During the recent two weeks, my relatively old HP laptop (running Windows 8.1 - this 4GB RAM potato can barely even run that so don't tell me to upgrade to 10 please) has been giving me BSODs everyday, but mostly in mornings when I start it up and start working. 5 minutes after startup, and no matter whether I've done anything on it or nothing at all, it'll go into a "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR" blue screen with no system file name in parenthesis after the error's name. Not even an error code. Just "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR". Please pay attention to this part. I've asked people about it numerous and they said there has to be a file name there, and when I said there's none they said maybe I'm not paying attention. I have no benefit off making up imaginary BSOD scenarios, and I've seen this particular BSOD happen so many times that I can't miss anything.

So, the blue screen goes on to collect data supposedly, and restart, except that... It doesn't. It either freezes forever at 0% (I've waited on it for hours, it doesn't do anything), or goes up to 100%, and THEN freezes forever. This is why I've had to reset it manually using the power button, multiple times over the course of these two weeks.

Now, until today, the problem had persisted the way it was. I had tried Windows Memory Diagnostic and chkdsk, and they found zero errors, so then I tried a complete virus scan of the hard drive which found zero threats. However, the BSOD still happened every day. It got worse over time, with it happening not just once after I start the system up, but also usually about half an hour after that. I wonder how that is, because never in 16 years of using Windows PCs have I seen a shitloop of errors so perfectly timed! It really happens almost precisely at 5 and 35 minutes after the first startup, every morning.

Anyways, today the laptop gave me a surprise: It got stuck at a BIOS black screen, saying "Boot Device Not Found", "Please install an operating system on your hard disk", "Hard Disk (3F0)". I tried its diagnostics tools and they once again told me there's no problems with the memory and the hard drive! After another reboot, it booted up into Windows successfully, but after five minutes it went into a BSOD again, this time (for the first time ever) the error was "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED". Again, no error code or system file name in the blue screen, only "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED".

This made me almost certain that there's something wrong with the hard drive, so I seeked help from my roommate and in a process that took me a full day off work and 16 hours of staring at screens, got a backup of my most vitally important files saved in his laptop. But this is far from ideal, and if the laptop is dying I need to know because it's where all my work files are located.

What do you think is causing the problem, and what can I do? I really need to try everything before I go to a repair shop because this thing's warranty has ended four years ago and all nearby repair shops are closed, so I'm mostly on my own now.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I forgot to mention it has 100% Disk Usage in Task Manager for some reason. I've tried every workaround and nothing has helped.

Continue reading...