Windows 8.1 Monthly Quality Rollup Corrupts User Profile & Creates Temporary Ones

• Thread starter Thread starter JohnnyDD
  • Start date Start date
J

JohnnyDD

Hey folks,

I am wondering is someone could help me out with some advice and guidance. The monthly quality rollup KB update has been causing problems on my Windows 8.1 machine since February 2020. In February 2020, March 2020, and June 2020, this monthly quality rollup (file size about 550 MB) deleted my user profile and installed a temporary user profile for me. The only way out of this mess was to do a system restore, the manual registry editing trick did not work because of the security protocols in Windows 8.1 surrounding having multiple users on the same machine. So has this ever gotten fixed by Microsoft or did the problem perpetuate in each monthly quality rollup? That is to say, if I install the monthly quality rollup for January 2021, will it result in the same problem? It was a very frustrating experience. I almost lost all of my files. I did end up losing some because the system image I used had been from 6 months earlier. At least I had one to work from because all of the system image restore points auto created by Windows 8.1 failed when I called upon them to be used as the restore point. I have many, many hours into this issue and do not want to end up getting the yellow screen of death again (yellow background screen you get when you log in with a temporary profile). It is incredible to me that this error could have been carried for so many months without folks realizing it and no one correcting it.

Thank you.

Regards,

JohnnyDD

Continue reading...

Back