B

blackystrat

My PC Configuration:-

OS - Win 7 Professional 64 bit
CPU - AMD FX-6100
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Memory - Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz 8 GB
Graphics Card - ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB
Hard Drives - Crucial MX 100 - 256 GB (Primary C:) Seagate Barracuda - 160 GB Seagate Barracuda - 500 GB

Error Messages - None

Additional Information - (Prior to the BSOD)

• No additional hardware were installed.
  • No additional third party software were installed.

Checks Made -

• SSD check using Crucial Storage Executive + Third party tools - PASSED
  • Updated GPU driver to the latest version from AMD
  • SFC Scan To Detect Corrupt Windows Files - PASSED

I am looking for some information about this Black Screen issue. My PC started having a black screen without cursor about 4-5 days back. I ran all the hardware checks and driver updates but still continued having the black screen.

Finally I had to do a clean install of Windows 7 Pro x64 yesterday and after installing the essential drivers like Ethernet and Graphics I rebooted and the PC was working fine. Later I proceeded to installing the Windows Updates.

I installed the first batch of 40 updates and rebooted - everything went fine.

I installed the second batch of 20 updates and the black screen re-appeared.

After that I had to again do a clean install of Windows and so far, without installing any Windows update, I have rebooted the PC at least 20 times and everytime it booted fine. So I am pretty certain that it's a rogue patch from Windows Update that is causing this.

Now I am wary of installing the updates and I am proceeding with extreme caution, installing updates only in batches of 10 and that too very old updates around 2013 - 2015

Before I proceed further, I would like to request the members if anyone knows of any update that was released in Feb 2016 that has been known to cause this Black Screen of Death. I certainly don't want to make a clean install again. I have already done that twice yesterday

Many thanks in advance

Continue reading...