Windows 7 SP1: Still have high CPU usage when using a USB audio device connected to a USB...

• Thread starter Thread starter Mark D.
  • Start date Start date
M

Mark D.

My CPU is exhibiting symptoms similar (yet different) to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/981214, "There is high CPU usage when using a USB audio device connected to a USB 2.0 EHCI host controller."

I have four full-speed USB audio devices (TI PCM2903C) connected to a high-speed hub, and which is connected to the root hub of a USB 2.0 EHCI host controller on my computer. This is one of the hardware configurations called out in KB981214.

However, unlike the 100% CPU spikes every 15 seconds, I have continuous CPU utilization ranging from 18-25% once my devices are in use. Using Processes Explorer, I see the CPU usage listed under "Interrupts". While the audio devices are in use, Perfmon measures these CPU HW interrupts at 9500/sec vs 500/sec when the audio devices are not in use.

I'm pretty sure the audio devices are responsible because if I terminate the audiodg.exe process (which cripples my app), the interrupts drop down to 0.5% CPU utilization.

Clicking the "Disable all enhancements" for each speaker device helped some but not nearly enough.

Continue reading...

Back