Windows 10 search index keeps getting corrupt and rebuilding, error 0xc0041801 (jetutil.cpp)

• Thread starter Thread starter ajkessel
  • Start date Start date
A

ajkessel

I've had trouble with Windows 10 search index for years, but recently the index has become corrupt and started rebuilding at least a couple of times a week. It takes more than a day for the index to rebuild, during which time I can't easily search my email. Does anyone have a solid fix for this long-standing issue?

The error I see is first from the "gatherer", and then same error from "search service": The content index catalog is corrupt. (HRESULT : 0xc0041801) (0xc0041801)

The other error I see around the time of rebuild:

The search service has detected corrupted data files in the index {id=4810 - onecoreuap\base\appmodel\search\search\ytrip\common\util\jetutil.cpp (653)}. The service will attempt to automatically correct this problem by rebuilding the index.​

Details:​

0x8e5e01fe (0x8e5e01fe)​

I'm on the latest Windows 10 build, 16GB RAM, Carbon X1, latest Office 365 build.

I've tried:

• Rebuilding my search index from scratch
  • Removing everything other than document and mail folders from the scope of indexing -- I am not indexing any c:\windows, winsxs, or other binary or executable folders -- it really should just be office documents and OST and PST files. I am not indexing offline csc:// files.
  • Running chkdsk/scandisk, sfc, and dism, repeatedly
  • Run the troubleshooter (no problems detected): msdt.exe -ep WindowsHelp id SearchDiagnostic
  • Attempted manifest update with execution policy unrestricted: $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + ‘\AppxManifest.xml’ ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
  • Running scanpst repeatedly on my OST and PST files until there are no errors detected
  • Repairing my office installation
  • Checking for any Windows or Office updates.

Can anyone help track down the root cause of this issue? It really gets in the way of productivity.

Continue reading...

Back