Windows 10 Reinstall with Existing EFI and Linux

• Thread starter Thread starter sdt&
  • Start date Start date
S

sdt&

Hello everyone.

I need to reinstall W10 on my box. Along with it, I've got a Linux dual-boot setup and they share the same EFI partition.

I'm running the W10 installer via the USB created by the Media Creation Tool. My problem is that I've never used the tool and I don't know how it actually handles the space.

Let me share my current setup:

Number Size Code Name
1 1.4 GiB EF00 <---- EFI partition
2 128.0 MiB 0C01 Microsoft reserved ... <---- MSR partition
3 247.2 GiB 0700 Windows data <--- Actual W10 install
4 530.0 MiB 2700 <--- WinRE
5 199.5 GiB 8300 Linux filesystem <--- Home data
6 17.0 GiB 8300 Linux filesystem <--- Linux FS

As you may see, there the usual 4 partitions created by Windows. Partition 3 (let us call it P3) is where my C: resides to be clear.

Now, my question is: when I get to the installer asking where I want to install W10, what should I do? Obviously, I do not want it to delete the coexisting OS.

Can the installer figure out there's already an existing EFI partition and automatically handles it? What about P2 and P4?

I'd be tempted to point it to install on P3, because that's where my W10 currently is, but I don't know what is actually going to do with such space and the other partitions i.e. if it's gonna recreate them or what.

Hope my questions is clear. I'll be happy to provide any further details if needed.

Continue reading...

Back