Windows 10 Feature 1909 Update - Computer No Longer Boots

• Thread starter Thread starter ScwewyWabbit
  • Start date Start date
S

ScwewyWabbit

Anyone up to the challenge?

So far, no one has been able to resolve the issue created by Microsoft's Windows 10 Feature Update 1909. In a nutshell, my computer WILL NOT BOOT!

Tired of the "playbook" advisors who simply cannot understand the problem, and give me "playbook" answers. The last advisor I had at least understood the problem, and even tried things I was unaware of, but unfortunately, the problem is beyond him. I give him credit for being knowledgable and providing customer service! So, the problem was escalated to a Microsoft Support Agent, who has yet to contact me.

If the only thing left is the nuclear option, I will fell like suing Microsoft for pushing out a known defective product (since November 2019 from what I've read so far) that caused damage to my applications, loss of data and files, as well as loss of time and the stress involved, whcih they should be held liable and accountable for!

Here's the problem and a transcript of what was last done:

Me***
My HP Envy was working fine until I did the 1909 update. Did not see any errors during update, but upon restart, it went to 'Choose Keyboard Layout', then 'Troubleshoot' or 'Turn Off PC'. 'Recovery Manager' only returned me to the previous menu. Under 'Advanced Options', 'System Restore' will not present me with an operating system to restore. 'Uninstall Updates' will not uninstall quality or feature updates. 'System Image Recovery' cannot find a system image. 'Start Repair' cannot repair. Under 'Command Prompt', CHKDSK does not find any errors. SFC /SCANNOW validated, but cannot complete due to Windows Resource Protection issue.

I need to find out how to undo the damage caused by 1909 or fix the issue as I need to access my applications and files. I've been down a week, and cannot afford to lose any information.

A****
I'm sorry if you're having an issue. Type these following commands on the command prompt and hit enter after each line of command:

Bootrec /fixmbr
Bootrec /fixboot
Bootrec /scanos
Bootrec /rebuildbcd

Me***

Let me try those commands again, and provide the response:

/fixmbr - Successful

/fixboot - Access denied (DOS window is Administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe)

/scanos - The operation completed successfully.

/rebuildbcd - Identified 1 Windows installation. When I
answer Y to add installation to boot list, the response is "Cannot create a file when that file already exists."

There's no change upon restart.

One question I asked previously was in regards to the SFC command. How do I get around the Windows Resource Protection preventing me from using SFC successfully?

The second question would be getting around that fixboot access denied issue?

A****
Try entering these commands

sc config trustedinstaller start= auto
net start trustedinstaller

Me***
SC is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

A****
Did you try to boot in safe mode?

Me***
That's a problem too. No matter what I try, can't seem to get that boot option.

A****
You don't see the startup settings?

Me***
If I could boot in safe mode, I could at least troubleshoot what is causing Windows not to load.

A****
When you boot your computer did you try the choose your keyboard layout?

Me***
Yes, which is how I get to any troubleshooting screen. I am trying various POST keys...here's the first result:

When I turn on, I press ESC.

F1 is System Information, F2 is System Diagnostics, F9 Boot Device Options, F10 BIOS Setup, and F11 System Recovery. ENTER is continue startup.

F9 will give me OS boot manager and boot from EFI file.

F11 will enter into a differnt version of troubleshooting. I choose US keyboard and am presented with Troubleshooting or Turn Off PC. Iselect Troubleshooting, I get Refresh (says drive where Windows is installed is locked), Reset (don't want that as it removes everything), and HP Recovery Manager.

Note: A common theme is that the installation is locked, access denied, etc.

A****
Use a bootable USB Windows 10 so we can repair

Do you have one?

Me***
Yes...64 bit.
Tried that too, but I'll give it another goal in case I missed something.

A****
Ok let''try it. boot from the USB, instead of Install click repair

Me***
Anyway, none of the function keys get me to anything useful upon POST. And I can't get into SAFE MODE no matter what I try. The only time I've even seen SAFE MDOE in Windows 10 is if shut down was not properly done.

Booting from USB...

A****
Ok, let me know if you see the Install and repair button when you boot

Me***
USB boots into choose keyboard...US. Then it shows RECOVER FROM A DRIVE (removes all apps and files), TROUBLESHOOT, and TURN OFF. Igo into TROUBLESHOOT, START REPAIR...couldn't repair your PC.

Hypothesis, it looks like the feature update somehow locked the Windows installation, so repair or anything cannot fix thigns.

Is there a way to unlock?

A****
You're probably booting from a recovery drive?

Me***
BIOS...System Configuration...Boot Options...CD/Internal Network Boot Disabled...UEFI Boot Order:

USB Diskette On Key/USB Hard Disk
OS Boot Manager
Everything else is not attached.
Plug USB flash drive in.
Turn on laptop.

I don't have installation media as it was an online upgrade from Win7 to Win10.

So I created a USB drive for recovery purposes.

A****
You need to create an installation Media on another computer

Me***
Fortunately I have another Windows 10 64-bit laptop. Let me see if I can create Installation Media. If it does, you know how slow that is. BRB

USB ready. Plugging in now...

A****
Great! Boot from USB then click on repair

Me***
Language = English
Time/Currency = English
Keyboard = US

Choosing "Repair Your Computer" should keep app and files, right?

A****
Yes, dont worry

Me***
Clicked and it went to TROUBLESHOOT and TURN OFF. Selecting TROUBLESHOOT...START REPAIR.

Couldn't repair your PC.

A****
Command prompt

Me***
X:\Sources

A****
sfc /scannow

Me***
Verification...
Completed. Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

A****
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Me***
Error: 50

DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Online option.
The DISM log files can be found at X:\windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

A****
Try the startup settings
When you click troubleshoot you should see that as an option

Me***
Booting from USB...Repair...Troubleshoot...

I have:

Startup Repair
Command Prompt
Uninstall Updates
UEFI Firmware Settings
System Restore
System Image Recovery

If I choose UEFI, I restart and it takes me to my laptop's Startup Menu.

F1 = System Information
F2 = System Diagnostics
F9 = Boot Device Options
F10 = BIOS Setup
F11 = System Recovery

A****
We don't need that options
I am routing this conversation to a Microsoft support agent for further assistance.

Continue reading...