Windows 10 crashing following clean install

• Thread starter Thread starter CluelessNomad
  • Start date Start date
C

CluelessNomad

Hi,

I am on: 2021-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5001649)

I recently upgraded some hardware components and installed a completely clean Windows 10 on a new SSD - nothing remains of my old files except for the picture storage I carried over.

The system is freezing - I'd say one or two times a week. This has happened while light gaming but also web browsing. I haven't been able to isolate a specific cause.

The symptoms:

Some things work, others do not. I can open the start menu, but nothing I select works (I cannot shut down or restart the system). Crtl-alt-delete works, but again no options work. Ctrl-alt-escape does not work at all, so I can't peek at processes that might be corrupted. Some programs are able to minimize and maximize, while others lock down.

For this mixed functionality, it declines over time. For example, a program that I can minimize and maximize will freeze up after a minute or so. Within 3 minutes the entire system grinds to a halt.

Event logger records no fatal errors or anything weird really. All it shows after I hard restart the pc is the unexpected shutdown.

Hardware monitors do not show any overly high temperatures in the minute before crashing, but the temperatures don't update during the crash so it may be heating up (?). I've updated my motherboard's bios, and I have never overclocked anything. I also reinstalled all hardware drivers in hopes of fixing this. Overall, I don't think this issue is hardware related, but I'm open to anything.

Does anyone have any advice on where to look, or what this might be related to?

Continue reading...

Back