Windows 10 boot loop after recent update

• Thread starter Thread starter p_shah
  • Start date Start date
P

p_shah

I had Win7 on one SSD and over a year ago I installed Win10 on another SSD and made them dual boot. With the recent update, the Win10 OS won't start, it would hang on the spinning circle screen, reboot, attempt repairs, and finally show message saying it could not fix the problem. I tried booting from Win10 DVD and running Startup Repair, and using command line running bootrec /fixmbr, /fixboot, /rebuildbcd commands. All I ended up doing was wasting 5 days and hosing up my Win7 OS which was working fine.

Did you have backup you say? Yes! I had 5TB over 2 HDD dedicated to backing up both Win7 and Win10. So what's the problem. Problem is that Win10 backup was made using Win7 system image tool. Cause there is no other way to create a system image in Win10. Long story but it didn't work, until I hit the right combination of which OS to select before selecting the image, what boot order to set them in, whether to use Win7 or Win10 bootloader, etc.

So my goal is to never be in this spot again and lose days over fixing these issues. I want to be able to restore either OS from backup and keep going next time it happens. With Win10 updates breaking things all the time, I am sure I won't have to wait long.

I think the best way to do this is to

1. Remove Win10 from Win7's boot options, and vice versa.
  2. Create a system image of each OS (which I already do but those image have dual boot OS).
  3. Create a file backup of the non OS files (which I already do).
  4. When I want to switch to a different OS, press F11 and boot from the other drive.

I am pretty sure this would work but I need a sanity check!

Thanks

Continue reading...

Back