Windows 10 Audio Devices (all of them) automatically disable/mute when the computer is idle for a while.

• Thread starter Thread starter MichaelNollette
  • Start date Start date
M

MichaelNollette

I've found that when my computer is idle for a decent amount of time (usually around 45 minutes, but it's never exact, and happens more commonly when I have an application actively running), I'll return to my computer to find that no audio is available for it. When I pull open the sound settings to choose my output device, either none is available, or the only one that is available is the Realtek Digital Output (which is not connected to an actual device). In order to re-enable audio, I have to start running the troubleshooter, which resolves the lack of audio before it even gets me to the menu to select an audio device. Nice, easy fix, but it's still not great to have to do a few times every day (and it worries me that the issue might get worse).

I've tried a fresh installation of Windows and reinstalling the audio drivers, but the issue persists. Also tried unchecking the "Allow application to take exclusive control of this device" options.

Continue reading...

Back