Windows 10 1909 Update Fails in First Boot with Critical Process Dies after performing 29% of update

• Thread starter Thread starter Rick_SSC
  • Start date Start date
R

Rick_SSC

All

I am runing Windows 10 Build 17763 64 bit on ASUS mb. System has 24GB of storage with C drive having 1.4 TB of free space. When attempting the update via the UPDATE Assistant, the update fails with an error code of 0x80070017. Downloaded the update to a USB Flash drive via the Media Tool and executed SETUP. This approach allowd the updates to load, but fails in FIRST BOOT after reaching 29% of the upgrade. The Error code is 0xC1900101 - 0x30017 CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. At that point the system reboots, attempting to restart the installation. This fails, then the system restores the origianl configuration.

Following suggestions for this error, I disconnected all USB devices with the exception of the KB and Mouse, performed a "Clean BOOT" turned off all AV products, renamed the Software Distribution Folder and catroot2 folder and created a registry element in HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Windows\CurrentVsion\WindowsUpdate OsUpgrade with a value of 1

I then reran the installation from the USB flash drive with the same result. I also ran the recommended scans of the distribution files.

I have the system set with Storage Spaces as well as a variety of MS and non MS products installed, so performing a Clean Install, is not an option.

What other actions can I take?

Continue reading...

Back