Windows 10 1809 refuses to upgrade or even install on clean wiped system, 1803 is ok

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike In Santa Clara
  • Start date Start date
M

Mike In Santa Clara

I am at my wits end for the first time in 40 years in trying to install an operating system and hope someone can help.

I have a Core i7-920, Biostar Tpower X58 motherboard, 6GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Pioneer BDR-206D Blu-ray drive, EVGA GeForce 960GTX 4GB, TP-Link RTL8188 802.11n USB wireless adapter, USB keyboard and mouse. I've disabled all legacy support in BIOS as much as I can (e.g. floppy drive), use only SATA-attached peripherals on the primary controller, and taken out other peripherals like a USB 3.0 PCI-e card, a SoundBlaster card and an old Broadcom-based PCI 802.11n card. I've used Windows Vista, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 up to 1803 with absolutely no issues.

Since 1809 came out, my Win10 x64 1803 install would ask me to update and I accepted. The computer would restart and freeze at the Windows symbol with no activity. I'm aware that this is a known problem for a number of systems and I followed multiple methods to attempt to alleviate this, including deleting the Windows Update folder and redownloading, downloading the servicing stack update, manually downloading the update, DISM/SFC cleanup from the shell, and in-place upgrade on a known good USB stick using the 1809 media creation tool.

None of that worked.

I figured that a full and clean install from scratch by wiping my SSD would help, and I did exactly that after backing up my data. I burnt a copy of 1809 on a clean, unused dual-layer DVD using the built-in Windows 10 ISO burner tool from an ISO downloaded using the 1809 media creation tool with full verification that passed. I rebooted my system with no peripherals other than my video card, SSD and Blu-ray drive. The computer would boot, the Windows logo would come on the screen, the drive would spin for a couple of minutes and then simply stop and freeze. I've run memtest86 on my SDRAM and it tests fine. BIOS is upgraded to the latest from Biostar and I've wiped NVRAM and CMOS. I even tried a boot sequence with just the BD-R and video card (i.e. no SSD, no network and no USB peripherals of any kind), and it still won't install. Yet 1803 or earlier will boot just fine if I install from older media that I have.

None of this makes sense and I'm very literally at the end of my rope with 1809. I'm wondering if someone can provide a solution for this because I have literally tried every permutation and combination of peripherals down to the absolute minimum required for my system to actually progress beyond the BIOS screen and boot. Thanks in advance for your help.

Continue reading...

Back