win 7 rescue usb

• Thread starter Thread starter mptbowl
  • Start date Start date
M

mptbowl

Hi I have created a system image on an external hard drive. I then created a rescue disc which I tested and it worked ok to the point of no return and then cancelled. The following day I double checked the rescue disc to see if it would work and it came up with "windows has encountered a problem communicating with..... This error can.... caused ...unplugging... device such as ext usb whilst in use or faulty hardware" (I've left a lot out) and then later "Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred". I tried the disc on another (identical) computer with exactly the same results. Used different new discs and wrote new rescue discs but got the same result as before on both computers

So I thought screw the dvd drive and I'll make a rescue disc with a usb drive ( well ok an sd card in a card reader) and of course (old system) it will only accept discs. So I tred to copy and paste to the sd card(USB) it gets to 30 secs before completion and says "Can't read from the source file or disk" and "boot wim Type Wim File" Etc, but it allows you to skip so yeah ok I skip and try it. Inevitably on boot up (F12 options) " Boot from USB Device" it just freezes but I'm not surprised

I have searched the internet with loads of dead ends and 'insert disc' info. (ARGHHHH)

So how do I make a bootable USB/SD card(USB)???

I refuse to do what I want to do without a stable back up.

Incidentally I down loaded Easeus Todo backup and made a rescue disk which also refuses to kick in. When I view the file it has a VLC cone next to it(?). On trying it just says (black screen with) "remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart". Drew a blank with that as well. Easeus will help if you have purchased. so if you have any tips on that I would be grateful. I will be trying Macrium reflect tomorrow.

I'm not computer savvy and trying to fathom it all is mind numbing but when things don't work it's, well, I've got no hair left, I'm speaking in tongues and started to drool.

I look forward to hearing from you

Michael

Continue reading...

Back