Why was my "system managed" pagefile so small?

• Thread starter Thread starter ElliotGingold
  • Start date Start date
E

ElliotGingold

I have been trying to sort out a performance issue on my HP desktop Windows computer. Various windows were giving not responding messages and I noted that the memory utilisation at these times was over 95%. I am not at all clear about why it was that high - I was mostly only running one browser (Chrome) and Outlook at this time and the only other large memory utiliser was Kaspersky anti-virus. I would have thought that my 8GB of physical memory should have been enough to handle this load. So this was a pain!

I guessed that my issue might have something to do with the Virtual memory and files needing to be swapped in and out. I discovered that my pagefile size was set as "system managed size" and was 6,656 MB. I have 8GB of RAM so using the 1.5x rule it should have been at least 12,288 MB.

I decided to see if increasing the VM by adding a second pagefile to another partition using custom settings. So I set up a second pagefile on to another partition which increased the total available VM size to just over the recommended size. I was not confident this would fix things, but it did. My "Memory utilisation" figure has now settled to a figure just over 60%. And everything is running smoothly.

So my question is why the "system managed" page file was set so small by the Windows system? And why increasing the available VM actually reduced the amount of physical memory being used? I note from Task Manager that currently only 4.8 GB of the 7.9 GB of physical RAM is being used. Previous to my VM expansion it was close to all of it.

I love fixing things, but I like to know why the fix worked! Any ideas appreciated.

Continue reading...

Back