Why is Windows 10 update removing desktop icons?

• Thread starter Thread starter taximadman
  • Start date Start date
T

taximadman

2 days back while at my mother's house, 30 min before leaving I noticed she had a Windows 10 update that needed to be installed, so told it to install update, which which has never took longer than 5 min to do. That day however, when I left 30 min later, it was still installing updates.

The next morning when my mom went to use her computer, 3/4 of her desktop icons were gone. She thought my dad had done something to cause it, as he had tried to use the computer before her, & told her something was wrong with the computer as most of their desktop icons were gone. She called me and, to be honest, from what she said to me about it, it kind of sounded like maybe the computer was somehow stuck in safe mode, so I told her I'd come over & see if I could maybe figure it out.

This morning I went to her house and quickly assessed the computer was not in safe mode, but her desktop picture had been changed, and was now set to Windows 10 default screen. And, as she said 3/4 of her desktop icons were gone. now. I located 2 of the programs that had desktop icons which had been deleted or removed, and created new icons for them & sent them to the desktop . I then went to Windows Update & again noticed that there was a updated that was needed, so I had it install update(s). Today, I waited for it to finish installing update, at which point it said computer would have to be rebooted to complete, so I rebooted it. When Windows started, I saw that the 2 program icons I had just put back onto desktop were gone.

It is apparent to me that your Windows 10 Updater has something wrong with it. Can you tell me how long your users will have to put up with this huge problem? At this point, if I don't want this to happen every time Windows does a update, I can only stop Windows from updating, & wait for a fix from you for updater. And, as you say, not letting Windows 10 update as needed leaves user in vulnerable state. So, I ask again, any idea how long before I can expect to wait for a fix? And, in case I'm not clear, your Windows 10 updater is deleting majority of desktop icons (which it has never done) and returning Windows 10 to its default setting every time update is installed & computer is rebooted.

Also had error message pop up after 1st update 2 days ago which said: "Software Update Notification - Access violation at address 03EE9969. Read of address 34603468." The only thing you can do is select box which says "OK", so then the message keeps randomly popping up.

Continue reading...

Back