When I press space, a search window pops up

• Thread starter Thread starter ChaosFreak
  • Start date Start date
C

ChaosFreak

Sometimes when I'm using my computer, suddenly the space bar will stop functioning normally. Instead of typing a space as it should, pressing the space bar causes the Windows 10 start menu search bar to pop up in the middle of the screen (see screenshot).

433cc6df-1272-4814-93c7-a3db6fba6188?upload=true.png

If I type something in this search box, it starts displaying search results (which are all apps installed on my computer). It behaves similarly to start menu search, but it's in the middle of the screen (and the start menu isn't displayed). I have never seen this search box appear at any other time.

This is happening on a brand new Microsoft Surface Book 3. It happens both with the internal keyboard and with an external keyboard attached. It happens when connected to a Surface Dock or when not connected to anything.

I have been unable to figure out what triggers it. But the only way to fix it is to reboot. It will work fine for hours or up to days, but suddenly it will start displaying the search menu when I press space.

IMPORTANT!! READ THIS: Please do not respond with generic troubleshooting advice such as creating a new profile, repairing my Windows installation, etc. I am an IT professional with 30 years experience, including every version of Windows since 3.1. I have tried all of the generic troubleshooting methods. Please only respond if you have seen this issue before and you have a solution that you know will work for this specific issue.

Thank you!

Continue reading...

Back