Washed out colors and color banding on RX 5500 XT (new PC)

• Thread starter Thread starter RaicuBogdan
  • Start date Start date
R

RaicuBogdan

Just built a new pc and I have some really nasty problems with my GPU on Windows 10:

The color banding and washed out, impossibly contrasting and saturated video and game rendering drives me crazy and I can't seem to find any fixes. The interesting thing is that it seems to happen only when I render videos or play video games. Also, the videos resolution (i.e. youtube) seem to be of lower quality, even though selected quality is 1080p. Here are some images so you can see what I'm talking about (sorry for bad quality phone pictures, it was the only way I could illustrate what I meant):

The following is a screen capture from this video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJZWKBDXXFY
(3:26):

New Bitmap Image (4).bmp

As you can see, the SS is alright, no problem here. But here is how the video actually looks when played on Youtube (photo taken by phone):

134810248_244356263720558_6658132604617095896_n.jpg

Zoomed in on the previous image to see the color banding and strange hues:

134677700_402342141187282_1468638182661579813_n.jpg

There clearly are some out of place colors in the actual video when played.

This one is a photo of the first screenshot. Not too much of a difference here; I wanted to show the zoomed in version for the sake of comparison.

gpu images - Google Drive

And here are three screenshots I took from Dark Souls Remastered. You can see the colors are washed out and there are blueish, greenish and purple-ish hues in most dark and shadowy areas.

New Bitmap Image.bmp

New Bitmap Image (5).bmp

New Bitmap Image (2).bmp

One thing I need to mention is that I swapped GPUs with a friend, and his configuration renders video and games alright with my RX 5500 XT on his motherboard, so the GPU is not faulty. Here is my configuration, maybe it helps:

Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core

GPU: AMD Radeon Sapphire Pulse RX 5500 XT 8GB, GDDR6, 128 bit (placed in PCIe 4.0 x16 slot)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600 MHz, CL 20, Dual Channel (placed like this: [] [|] [] [|] )

PSU: Corsair CX Series™ CX550F RGB, 80 PLUS® Bronze, 550W

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe

Radeon Software utility helped me with the drivers; I also use it to configure color in games, nothing else. I'm updated, as can be seen here (though I haven't activated Windows; could that be a problem?): New Bitmap Image (6).bmp

Here is a screenshot with the display settings in Radeon Software:

New Bitmap Image (5).bmp

Windows 10 display settings.

New Bitmap Image (8).bmp

I also use Ubuntu for work and I don't have such problems there. Video rendering seems to be fine.

Sorry for the long post, it's quite a bummer for me since I've waited so much to build this PC; I really want to find solutions.

Continue reading...

Back