Unable to update AMD Chipset/ Nvidia drivers without system crash

• Thread starter Thread starter DrKrypton36
  • Start date Start date
D

DrKrypton36

Here is my current build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill RipJaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 3600 CL16-19-19-39 1.35V
Storage: SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Crucial MX200 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card
Case: Corsair 230T ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII Series 750 Watt 80+ Gold Semi-Modular
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (Fresh Install)

Back in May, I upgraded my GPU, CPU, Motherboard, and Ram. All of these components are 6 months old.

Recently, while playing League of Legends, my computer randomly crashed. At first my monitors went out off like during a shutdown but my computer fans/lights remained on for a little longer before turning off. I thought it was a power outage but no other electronics were affected in my home. When I tried to reboot my computer, it kept cycling through the MSI start up screen but never went into windows. I assumed I had hard drive failure, so I reinstalled windows. This worked, however when I started messing on my computer, like surfing the internet for answers or updating my drivers, the computer would crash and I would get stuck in the infinite reboot loop. During the initial crash, I wasn't able to boot in safe mode but after the fresh install, I could. I ran memtest86, switched out my ram, changed my power supply, tried a different hard drive, bought and installed Nortons to scan for a virus (I previously only used Windows defender and thought maybe there was some malware that it could not detect) and made sure my GPU was set correctly but nothing seemed to fix the crashes. I took my computer to a repair shop and they said my GPU was faulty. I went ahead and packed it up to send it back to MSI for repair. I installed my wife's GPU (Geforce RTX 1060) just to update my drivers and see if the computer had any other issues. While messing around again, my computer crashed but never got stuck in the infinite loop, the system was able to repair itself. I thought this was odd so I decided to install the 2060 I had into my wife's computer to see if it had an issue. I didn't do this before because I was afraid to break my wife's computer but I felt confident at this point that this was not a GPU issue. I believe I was proven right because her computer recognized the card and able to play a youtube for about 2 hours and no crashes. I also ran a benchmark test and her system passed pretty well. Once I discovered that my GPU wasnt the issue, I started to look at my CPU. I started turning the screws on the bracket holding the CPU and noticed two screws were pretty loose (The one in the upper left quadrant and the bottom left quadrant). I decided I probably needed to add new thermal paste and reset my stock AMD fan.

Once I did this, I rebooted my computer with my wife's card, I messed around for an hour or so and it seemed a lot more stable. However when I went to device manager, I noticed my GPU was not recognized, so I attempted to update the drivers. I tried to manually install the drivers with no GeForce experience and when the bar was about 1/3 of the way done, the system crashed like before (no BSOD, just powered down). After this, I tried once more while monitoring my CPU temps and when the driver was attempting to reinstall, the CPU jumped to 67 C and the system crashed again. I also noticed my idle temp was around 45 and seems really unstable. I am not sure if this is a physically problem or a software issue. I also am unable to download the AMD chipset drivers without the system crashing.

Problem:

System initially crashed and required fresh windows install. After install, system is very unstable and crashes randomly. CPU cooler was loose and after tightening, system seems more stable. Now system crashes when NVIDIA drivers are updated. Computer is not recognizing GPU. CPU temp idles around 45C and seems unstable.

Fixes applied:

Ran memtest86; system passed four tests, no failures
Switched out ram

Changed Power supply
Switched Hard drive
Fresh Install of Windows
Bought and installed Nortons to scan for a virus
Checked how GPU was set
Switched GPU
CPU Cooler remounted
Updated BIOS

Continue reading...