Unable to start a certain game on Steam - Error 'Launcher has stopped working'

• Thread starter Thread starter Saya314159
  • Start date Start date
S

Saya314159

Greetings.

This is my first time asking for help here, so please just ask if you need more information on any part.

I will try to explain my issue as best as possible but I may miss important things you need to actually help me.

The Windows version I run is Windows 7 Ultimate (Version 6.1 Build 7601: SP 1). All the latest updates are installed, only some language packs not.

I do not think the issue is linked to my Hardware so I will omit information about that for now.

My problem is the following:

I have been playing a game called Closers, a Korean game that was brought to the West by En Masse Entertainment (I will abbreviate that as EME from here on). EME distributes that game via their own EME launcher and via Steam. I have been playing the Steam version from start of this year until the end of October. At the end of October EME updated the launcher and since then I am unable to run the game. Every time I try to the process of the launcher starts, I can see the icon in the tray bar and then a window pops up, telling me that the launcher has stopped working. I can only click that window away and that's basically it. I have tried about everything I could think of to no avail. Deleting the game and all remaining files + registry entries and then downloading the game anew does not change anything. Using compatibility mode did not do anything. I tried starting up Windows in a clean environment via a clean boot - without all the not needed drivers and programs running and it did not change anything. I disabled Firewall and uninstalled my Antivirus software (Kaspersky) and it did not change anything. I did run the Diagnostic tool from EME and it finds nothing wrong.

I of course wrote with the customer support from EME but alas they only had generic replies or asked me to try things I already did try. In the end they simply told me their QA team tried to run the game on a freshly installed Windows 7 and it works so they cannot help me further.

The issue persists on both the steam version of the game and if I try to run it via the standalone launcher of EME.

The only thing I can provide now as additional information is the logged error in the Event Viewer.

It seems to link the crash to the dynamic link library ntdll but I am not quite sure what this even contains, I only am aware it plays an important role for the NT Kernel and that Windows would for sure not run without it.

Also want to mention that I did run sfc /scannow and it did not find any integrity violations.

acea2988-63f1-4924-b361-6c788bd0517e?upload=true.png0a32dc04-81c2-4845-9c2e-8967f3d7512b?upload=true.png

I have waited for 1.5 months now in hope for another update from EME that fixes my issue - the game worked like a charm before they updated their launcher after all. But sadly no such change happened, it still does not work.

As I am personally at my wits end I thought I might just write here, maybe someone can help me. Maybe someone has an epiphany. Maybe I am utterly stupid and overlook something very obvious.

Kind regards and thanks for your time

Saya

Continue reading...