The process to buy and install Minecraft REALLY sucked

• Thread starter Thread starter zze86
  • Start date Start date
Z

zze86

This is more or less a feedback post. Not really looking for technical support.

As the title states, the process of buying and installing Minecraft for the kids was/has been the most maddening software installation process I've had for the better part of a decade. Went to Minecraft.net and went through ~3 pages before it took me to the Microsoft store to purchase Minecraft. Two or three pages later I had actually bought Minecraft: Java Edition but then it didn't give me any download links. Clicking around I think I clicked on the "Play" button before it then sent me to the MS Game store where it asked me to again buy the game.

After digging around on multiple web pages I finally realized it wanted me to login into a MS account locally before I could actually install it on the PC. Some clicking around later, I finally managed to get a download link. All said it took me ~45minutes from first search to actually download this game! What a dumb messed up process.

After installing the game, I wanted to log in to a remote server that a family member runs for the kids. We have three other PCs with their own separate Minecraft accounts on my home network that currently logs in to that server without any issues. Two of those were logged into that server when I was attempting to install Minecraft. Got an error: "Unable to connect to the server". This is apparently a common error with multiple solution attempts but NO KNOWN working solution. I went through multiple solution paths including checking network settings, checking firewall settings, checking anti-virus settings, resetting the network configurations, checking Windows10 privacy and security settings, checking XBox privacy settings, checking Windows Games settings.

Uggghhhhh....****?!?! If MS wants to integrate Windows10, Windows Games and XBox then having all these settings integrated would be nice rather than having to check in multiple locations locally and on the web.

But none of that worked! So maybe I bought the wrong version of Minecraft....there are TWO DIFFERENT versions of Minecraft for Windows10. Uninstalled the Java edition, went back through the multiple Minecraft web pages, which opened the MS webpage which ultimately opened up the Game store so I could finally install the Minecraft: Bedrock Edition.

And...I got the same error. Restarted the PC, went through all the troubleshooting again. And...same error. Restarted PC again as a last ditch effort and...same error.

Four hours. Over a quarter of that time was simply trying to get Minecraft installed. Said to hell with it and asked for a refund for both editions.

Continue reading...

Back