Sudden Black Screen - Computer Restarts Entirely While Playing Games

• Thread starter Thread starter andojj
  • Start date Start date
A

andojj

Hi,

I recently ordered new parts in mid April, switching from Intel/NVIDIA to AMD entirely. I put together the computer and kept only a few things from my old build, which would be my PSU and storage (HDD and SSD). At first I simply had my AMD GPU in my old build, but while trying to play Valorant and some other games this would lead to black screen crashing. I figured it was a clash of potential NVIDIA and AMD drivers, so I uninstalled NVIDIA's drivers and all its files and kept it clean. I ALSO BENT TWO PINS ON THE CPU, BUT MANAGED TO STRAIGHTEN THEM QUITE PERFECTLY. I AM NOT A SMART MAN.

From there I moved to my all AMD system including new ram and mobo. I ran into issues again, which wouldn't let me play certain games as my monitors would go black and then following that my computer would restart entirely. I figured a clean reinstall of Windows might help, so that's exactly what I did. It went fine for a while, but during that time I really only played a unity game called Realm of the Mad God. This issue has only occurred on me while I was playing the following games: Sea of Thieves, Valorant, and Monster Hunter: World. These games are obviously more demanding, and I also have a 2560x1440 monitor so I have been taking advantage of that. I run into the same issue, which seem to go away for a little while but always find their way back to me. It tends to black screen crash and then restart, I will then let it restart and try to launch the game again, and will soon after experience the same thing. Then I try to do something to help, like open OHM (Open Hardware Monitor) and check the temps, which are always in a safe range, albeit the CPU spikes spike and then fall often.

Here are my specs:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GPU - AMD Radeon RX 5700XT

Mobo - B450 Tomahawk (non max). I have the BIOS update to allow 3rd gen Ryzen functionality installed.

RAM - Corsair LPX 16GB 3200MHz.

PSU - Corsair CX 750W. PSU is roughly 6 - 7 years old.

I've done these things to try and fix the issue:

1. Reseat the GPU

2. Reseat the CPU and AIO cooler.

3. Reseat the RAM and move it into different slots.

4. Pressed firmly on all power connections going into the mobo and GPU to ensure they were in all the way.

5. Watched temps while playing demanding games and while idling with Chrome and Discord open.

6. Uninstalled and reinstalled AMD drivers, including updating them as of the day of this post.

7. Installed AMD chipset drivers.

8. Check event viewer.

Event viewer has given me some useful information, which seem to point to GPU, and some not useful information, which only shows the event. Every time I experience this I will receive a critical event 41, task category 63. Most of the time the BugcheckCode shows 0, which will have mostly 0's in all categories. But sometimes I will receive BugcheckCode 278 with varying BugcheckParameters. Here are two examples:

BugcheckCode 278
BugcheckParameter1 0xffffb28eda502050
BugcheckParameter2 0xfffff80524260818
BugcheckParameter3 0xffffffffc0000001
BugcheckParameter4 0x3
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0
Checkpoint 41
ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 1
CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
BugcheckInfoFromEFI false
CheckpointStatus 0

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0
Checkpoint 41
ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 4
CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
BugcheckInfoFromEFI false
CheckpointStatus 0

I'm going to update my BIOS and check for Windows updates as of now, but any insight would be appreciated. I am so sorry for the length of this post, but I'm kind of lost as this issue is very annoying and worrisome.

Continue reading...

Back