Stuck in Automatic Repair loop, bootrec /fixboot responds with "Access is denied", bootrec /rebuildbcd shows "Total Windows Installations: 0", Startup

• Thread starter Thread starter MGuy.21
  • Start date Start date
M

MGuy.21

Hello everyone,

So just for reference, this is a duplicate thread of this thread I posted yesterday that didn't get answered despite having over 150 views in a single day and around 26 people having the same (or similar) issues and questions. I decided to repost the thread, albeit a little more briefly, to get a faster response.

So the day before yesterday I restarted to update to version 2004 of W10. I had issues within the build, so I went back to the automatic repair options and decided to uninstall the update. Later on I have startup issues and my laptop is stuck in an Automatic Repair loop. I tried running Startup Repair several times, but it couldn't identify the issue and doesn't go past the "Diagnosing your PC" stage. I tried then running bootrec /fixmbr and the operation completed successfully, but running bootrec /fixboot gives me an "Access is denied" response for some reason. bootrec /rebuildbcd shows Total Windows Installations: 0. After running diskpart, the ESP volume is hidden. Everything would've been solved if I had a system restore, but there are none. Currently running chkdsk /f /r C:, but I have low hopes for it to work.

How could I fix the issue and boot back to Windows with all my files, settings, and apps back as they were? I really don't want to reset my lappy unless it's my last resort. Are there a couple of commands that can help with my situation, or can I reinstall Windows without losing my data?
It's really urgent, guys. I use my laptop for everything from online school to working to consuming media to light gaming. It's an important device for me, so I really need to get through this issue ASAP and get back to using my lappy the way it was at v1904, when it was perfectly running fine.

Just to inform you, I have looked at a couple threads like this one here and they do describe my issue, or a part of it, but they don't help much. As I mentioned earlier, bootrec /fixboot shows me an "Access is Denied" message, so I couldn't go past that step.

Thanks in advance

Specs if they help:​

CPU: Intel Core i5-8250U, quad core, Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz​

GPU: Nvidia MX130, Intel UHD Graphics​

RAM: 12GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM, dual channel​

HDD: 1TB Toshiba HDD​

Continue reading...