Stuck between spinning stars on login or no USB drivers and no keyboard and mouse on login!

• Thread starter Thread starter Richard Jay
  • Start date Start date
R

Richard Jay

Bit of a story here...

Been having issues lately with updates causing the spinning stars and no login issue - I had actually sorted the problem but it appears that Windows created a restore point just prior to these changes (this is important for the story later on).

I also have another issue that I was trying to solve with my Western Digital external hard drives which Windows suddenly has problems with - it is telling me that the drives do not have drivers! Now, no matter how many times I update the drivers or even delete them and reinstall them using Device Manager Windows is still telling me that these drives have no drivers (despite Device Manager telling me that the EHD's are working properly after the driver reinstallations) At no time did Disk Manager or File Explorer recognize these drives...

Now comes the tricky part! Because I could not find an easy solution to the problem I dug ever deeper into the issue to try and find a solution to why Windows could not recognize the drives on various forums... Several suggestions were found saying that the problem could be with the USB hub controllers and that the drivers probably needed updating - this did not work either. I found further suggestions that deleting the devices and then rebooting would impel Windows to reinstall the drivers appropriately. Driven by desperation I did this! Well Windows booted fine and the login page appeared as normal... However, I had no mouse or keyboard and so could not login...

My only recourse was to try and use the Windows Recovery system on bootup which I did... I successfully restored my computer back to the one and only restore point available (see above)... On rebooting the computer never got to the login and just did the spinning stars thing (as it was doing a few days ago before I sorted it)....

I tried to use Windows Recovery to access safe mode in order to deal with the Windows update issue by deleting the files in the SoftwareDistribution folder as I had previously done, however, every time I got to the safemode login Windows Recovery had already rolled back my system and so I no longer had a mouse or a keyboard and so could not login! I tried this a few times, including using the command prompt to disable the automatic actions of Windows Recovery to try and stop it from performing the rollback every time I tried to use safemode - did not work!

As a last resort once I had, again, gone back to my one and only restore point I tried to access the SoftwareDistribution folder using the command prompt in Windows Recovery but nothing I can do will locate this folder. Yes, I am not particularly familiar with command prompt directions since my DOS days are decades behind me now however I did do a lot of research and executed several different sets of commands serially to see whether this folder could be found within the Windows directory without luck! I must emphasize that this folder was never deleted by me at any time and only the contents of the relevant subfolder as per the original directions on any number of websites and forums... In any case the fact that I am stuck with the spinning stars problem indicates that the restore process put the updates back in their usual spot - problemis I cannot locate these files in my current situation and delete them...

Now, deleting those USB hub controllers was obviously the wrong thing to do, I accept that, well and truly. However, I now have a problem that I can only oscillate between two real scenarios neither of which allow me an option to even login to my system! In isolation I can fix both these problems but together they are an absolute nightmare!

Logic suggests that I have to get to a point where my mouse and keyboard work and then try to fix the Windows update spinning stars problem, but I cannot get there once I have done the restore through Windows Recovery I still cannot think of a solution to get into my system and delete the update files...

BTW, a lot of forum suggestions to deal with USB problems bring up the possibility of using PS2 mouse and keyboards but I have no PS2 ports on my system so that is not a potential solution.

I am in a real bind and need a solution...

Thanks for reading!

Continue reading...

Back