Sound problem

• Thread starter Thread starter WastefulSaturn
  • Start date Start date
W

WastefulSaturn

Hello,

I've recently got a problem with my sound. I've got a new PC in June last year, and it was fine until quite recently, when I bought a pair of headsets. After plugging them in, they did not work, so Windows Help prompted me to update my sound drivers, which resolved the problem, but my back sound plug (on my PC case) stopped working, after I plugged back my speakers.

Then I updated the sound drivers again, but the back plug still isn't working. In properties, it shows the green bar showing that the sound is present, and the sound appears every minute, but doesn't last more than one second.

Then I switched over to my front sound plugs on my computer case, and they worked partly fine. The sound was mostly present, but every minute (or more frequent that that) it disappears for a few seconds, making the listening really unpleasing. The volume mixer shows the bars going down to anywhere between 40 and 66% volume during the time when the sound goes off.

In the sound properties, it does the same, and in the 'Choose your output device', it changes from the default 'Speakers' (which uses Realtek HD Audio) to a second device called 6 - ASUS VA24E (which uses AMD HD Audio), referring to my monitor. And those new settings are present during the time the sound goes off, once the sound comes back, the settings are back to normal.

NOTE: This is true for BOTH the speakers and my headset.

I've tried updating my drivers once again, but it didn't fix the problem. The headset works normally on another PC, and I could comfortably say the same for the speakers. It is really annoying, and makes the experience awful. Some media apps are sensitive to this, and as soon as it happens, the playback stops, prompting me to restart the media file or skip to another. Those apps are Windows Media Player, Groove Music, Movies & TV, Wondershare Filmora. YouTube for example works normally.

Sum up of my problem: After buying a new headset, back sound plug doesn't work anymore, and the front one breaks periodically. In settings, the output device changes between speakers/headset and monitor each time the 'break' happens.

I would confirm that the problem is with the sound jacks or the PC case, but the problem wasn't present before I plugged in my headset. I think it may be something with the drivers Windows installed for me. Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Continue reading...

Back