Search options for my drives and windows never worked. I give Up!

• Thread starter Thread starter Wingclip
  • Start date Start date
W

Wingclip

Hi folks,

I dreaded having to install Windows 10, (I purchased and installed Windows 10 Pro 64 bit), ever since the announcement that it was about to be released. For me, Windows 7 was perfect and therefore, the applicable rule was; 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. However, I build my own computers and recently completed an expensive 'from scratch' build.

I was forced to install Windows 10 and because everything I read said that Win 10 Pro gave the user the most flexibility, (but not as much as Win 7), I chose the Win 10 Pro edition. The Win 7 edition I had was the "Home" version so the only thing I could do was purchase the Win 10 Pro and do a clean install. (You can't 'upgrade' from Win 7 Home to Win 10 Pro w/o a lot of finagling).

I'm not really surprised that after 2.5 weeks, I still fumble around like a bull in a china shop as I try to find the most simplest of panels to open, (such as Device & Printers, or, Command Prompt). MS apparently thought it was a good idea to change where these, and many other typically used panels & controls were located.

I know that when I had to go from Win XP to Win 7, I also experienced apprehension and anxiety but was pleasantly surprised when I found Win 7 was incredibly intuitive. In addition, I was easily getting around 90% of the Win 7 O/S within 3 or 4 hours after installing it. One reason for that was the fact that MS didn't change where most of the controls and panels were located.

Here I am, almost 3 weeks into Win 10 Pro and I still can't recite the path to any of the locations I mentioned above, (and many I didn't mention) from memory. What makes this all even 10 times worse, is that my "Search" engine doesn't work AT ALL!

I can click in the 'Search' box of any one of my 6 internally mounted SSD drives, or my externally mounted SSHD until I use up the batteries in my mouse, but it won't even open the cursor in there! Don't think I haven't tried every suggestion I could find, and of all the time I've spent on the computer so far, at least 35% of it was in an attempt to fix this.

Today, I noticed that when I press the Windows Key + "S", nothing happens. It's supposed to open the User account option but instead, it does nothing. I can open the "Run" box with the Windows key + "R" and I think there was some other thing I was able to open with the Windows + shortcut but I can't remember now. I wonder if the Windows + S is some sort of indicator to the problem.

I have tried the Windows "Troubleshooter" so often that I actually laugh when I consider trying it anymore. It seems like the Troubleshooter doesn't work and is there just to force you to take a break. My system is very fast but seriously, the Win Troubleshooter operation has never taken longer than one second to return a "Troubleshooter could not find the problem" report.

ONE SECOND?! How could it have found anything in one second?! Of course, it has never, ever, found and fixed a problem and I honestly believe it's incapable of doing that when it doesn't seem to look for a problem long enough to find one.

My storage drives were populated a little at a time, with the contents of drives installed in my previous build, so some drives showed that they had folder with a "Read Only" status. I expected that and I took ownership of them yet, when I go back to the folders Properties/Security later, I found that they were back to "Read Only".

This issue set off a multi-day session of attempts on my part, to regain full control of the O/S, which to date, apparently has failed. Permissions, Ownership, user accounts, "Everyone", etc., etc. I've spent entirely too much time messing with this problem.

I'm going to go with a third party Search engine and try to forget the fact that I spent well over $4K on the hardware in this computer build, (not including the storage drives, Monitor, or case), and yet, I can't control it because MS decided to fix something that wasn't broken.

FWIW

Rich

Continue reading...

Back