Same "Trojan" identified, but not found, on my PC

• Thread starter Thread starter SCrandallTX
  • Start date Start date
S

SCrandallTX

I have an issue with three (3) Trojans, on my PC, identified by "Microsoft Security Essentials". Neither "Security Essentials" nor I can delete these Trojans as their location on my PC, as identified by "Security Essentials", appears not to exist.

My PC operates on the latest version of Vista (64) with all the applicable Microsoft service packs, security and level updates applied. I have had no history of viruses or malware on my PC at any other time. My internet usage is limited to my bank, Facebook and Bing (my home and search page). I operate and use "Windows Mail", via a proxy, and have very limited experiences with "trash". I never pen an attachment, unless it's from a known source and I'm expecting the attachment. Even then, I first scan all attachments prior to opening them.

About 3 months ago, to save money, I did not renew my subscription to my Norton 360 Antivirus software that had operated on my PC for about 5 years. Instead, my son-in-law (an IT Manager) downloaded and installed "Microsoft Security Essentials". Since then it has operated without flaw except for one recurring issue, which I discuss in detail below. We have attempted to remedy this issue without success. So we are asking for any assistance that may be out there, or anyone else who may have also experience the same issue. I provide my "thank you" in advance.

Here's the issue: For the past several month, Microsoft Security Essentials has identified three (3) Trojans on my computer, and Security Essentials places them in its Quarantine. Although Security Essentials is set-up to scan my PC everyday, it only finds these Trojans maybe once or twice a week, at most. And, it always finds the same three (3). They are identified by Microsoft Security Essentials as "Severe" and Security Essentials recommends they be deleted from my computer. I follow Security Essentials instructions to the letter, and delete them all and then "restart my computer, as instructed by Security Essentials.

After restarting my PC, I will reopen Security Essentials. When I go to Security Essentials Quarantine page, I still see that all three Trojans in still within Quarantine, and in addition there is an added note after each Trojan identified. This note is an "Error Message" and the error message is the exactly the same for each and every Trojan occurrence.

The identified Trojans are named below. In addition, I provide the text located within the error message supplied by Microsoft Security Essentials after Trojan deletion and computer restart is performed:

• Ransom:JS/FakeBsod.A
  • Ransom:JS/Brolo.C
  • Rogue:JS/Fake Call.D
  • Error Message (after each Trojan). First, it shows the name of the Trojan and then in the text box below it provides the following language: "The following error occurred: Error code 0x80508023. The program could not find the malware and other potentially unwanted software on this computer." This same error message and code appears after each identified Trojan.

Within each error message there is additional verbiage as to the hard drive location(s) of where Security Essential purportedly found the Trojan, and in reality there is no such location on my computer. The purported location is always a Temporary Internet File, typically identified as IE5 and having a very long alpha-numeric name. After long searches (by both myself and my son-in-law), the location is never found, as it does not exist on my PC.

As my next act to remedy this situation (after deleting the Trojans, restarting my PC and then again finding the Trojans in the Quarantine within Security Essentials), I place a check-mark in the box next to each Trojan and Error Message and select "Delete All". After this, I then restart my PC, and as a result neither the Trojans nor the associated error messages will appear in Security Essentials (unless placed there again as the result of another Security Essential scan).

The Trojans are now gone (at least from within Security Essentials Quarantine...), until another Security Essentials scan finds them again. Often, several days worth of Security Essentials scans are performed before the same three (3) Trojans are again identified.

Security Essentials scans my PC every night, but only finds these Trojans once to twice within a week's time frame. And if these Trojans are again fond, I take the same actions to address and remove them from my PC. I'm getting very tired of this very redundant process.

Since Security Essentials first found these Trojans, I have had some performance issues that I believe are related to the purported Trojans. Per a "Windows Sidebar" "Usage Meter" I have open on my desktop, it appears that my PC's CPU is being utilized more than should be, especially when my PC is doing nothing. The meter will indicate that anywhere from 50 to 100% of my CPU is being "used" when my PC is actually idle, with no programs open.

To further investigate this, I'll open my PC's "Task Manager", and then I'll open the following in order - "Performance", "Resource Meter", and finally I will expand the "CPU" bar to identify all the things "running" on my PC and at what level they are utilizing the CPU. With the CPU meter expanded, it will show the following program taking up to 50% - 100% of my CPU:

• regsvr32.exe; This may appear as 2 - 4 independent programs (yet they have the same .exe name)

There are many other items identified by the CPU Resource Monitor as "running", but they have little to no impact on my PC's CPU performance when compared to the 2 - 4 open "regsvr32.exe" items. They also appear to open and close on a 1 - 2 second basis, leaving my resource meter horizontal time line looking a saw blade (up and down, up and down) per CPU usage. This obviously impacts my PC's performance.

As an additional note, I stopped using Internet Explorer (IE9 - latest version compatible with Vista64) about 6 months ago, per the recommendation of my IT Manager son-in-law. I use Firefox instead, and like it much better than IE. However, almost every day I get a "Windows Error Message" stating that IE9 is being shutdown due to problems. I then get a small icon on my start bar, which concerns this error. When I click on it, it Opens Windows Help tab to an area concerning WEP. It instructs me to activate WEP, even though I have already done so (which I manually check to confirm). This daily occurrence is very confusing to me. Especially since I do not use IE and even though, I already have WEP enabled..

I'd appreciate any help with how to address the Trojans named above as well as the associated repetitive issues I'm experiencing..

Thank you!

Continue reading...

Back