Random: computer freezing, short black screens, and restarting.

• Thread starter Thread starter Faith_730
  • Start date Start date
F

Faith_730

Hello,

I recently built my own computer just a few months ago, and I've been putting off dealing with this for a little too long. I have a few problems that I still don't know what's causing them and I'm unsure if any of them could be connected somehow.

First and most often, my computer will randomly black screen for a few seconds. Sometimes it fixes itself and returns to normal and other times I have to turn off & on my TV I use as my monitor via HDMI to my graphics card. This happens at least once every couple hours if not more often.

Second, less often but still upsetting: my computer will (randomly) completely freeze. Mouse doesn't move, ctrl+alt+del does nothing, windows key does nothing. I have to hold the power button and force a shutdown. This is probably about once a week off the top of my head.

Thirdly: Only a couple times in the past couple weeks, my computer restarted on its own. No windows updates happening in the background that I know of, even then, I don't think its set to restart whenever it wants.

When these problems happen I'm usually just in my browser (Firefox) either watching YouTube videos, general web stuff, but sometimes the black screening happens when I'm gaming (nothing terribly hard to run on my system-Sims 4, Dauntless, etc.).

My hardware:

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Max WIFI ATX AM4
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (integrated graphics) 3.70 GHZ
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence (RGB)
Graphics Card: MSI Radeon RX 5500XT Mech 4G

Build: Version 2004

What I've tried:

-Increasing Vram

-the sfc /scannow -it reported no issues

-Windows is completely up to date as of the date I'm posting this and I try my best to keep it that way.

-and yes, all my drivers are up to date with my checking through device manager. Parts are all brand new anyway.

Continue reading...

Back