PC does not boot-up during restart, instead has to be manually be shut down with the power button

• Thread starter Thread starter JonPi3
  • Start date Start date
J

JonPi3

Hi,

I've had a problem with my PC for about a year where any time it restarts - either manually or during an update - it shows the 'Restarting...' screen, then all screens lose input, but the fans continue to spin and nothing further happens. I have to then manually shut it down by holding the power button, and press it a few seconds later to turn it on again. Most of the time it then boots up fine or continues with the update.

More recently, a new problem has developed where sometimes the PC doesn't boot up at all - fans come on, lights on my keyboard & mouse, but nothing on the monitors and nothing happens. I have to follow the same process above of forcing a shutdown then trying again, which solves it.

The problem first occurred after I upgraded my CPU and GPU last year, from an Intel Core i5-4690K to an i7-4790, and from an NVIDIA GTX 770 to a GTX 1660 ti.

Also running Windows 10 with an MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Motherboard.

I've read a few guides that have suggested disabling fast start-up, which I've done, and updating the BIOS, which I haven't done yet as I know that involves restarts and that's exactly the problem...

Hope you're able to help and let me know if you need any extra info!

Thanks,

Jon

Continue reading...

Back