Outlook 2016 won't sync with older live.com account

• Thread starter Thread starter 73blazer
  • Start date Start date

73blazer

Outlook2016 won't connect to exchange account

Cannot connect outlook 2016 to older live.com account. First problem is autodiscovery doesn't work. If I just put my email (XXXX@live.com) and password it says it cannot find.

If I do manual setup and put in username, email ,password and email server as outlook.office365.com it says your account is connected and it's all set.

I see it added into outlook as expected. But it will not sync. Instead I get one (auto generated) email in that inbox that says I have to "reconnect" outlook to exchange "to take advantage of the new features and to enable sync" ...and provides instructions to do so. Those instructions basically ask you to create a new "outlook" profile in control panel->mail .

Close outlook, I do the profile thing, re-open, re-add my emails...same issue. CLose outlook, delete windows profile, add new profile, reboot, open outlook, add emails. Same issue. No sync and I get the one email that says to re-connect my outlook to take advantage of new features. Close outlook 2016, remove outlook 2016. Remove windows profile. Re-install outlook 2016. re-add windows profile. open outlook, add email accounts, same issue, the live.com accout won't sync and asks me to "reconnect" by making a new windows profile.

It's latest version of outlook 2016 (16.0.4266.1001). It will connect and sync with my works domain issued account, but I have a personal email/calendar on a live.com address I've had for years and that one will not sync.

Using pop or imap in 2016 will work, but I need the calendar so it needs to be a real ms account acct not just a pop/imap email acct.

It's worked fine for years in outlook 2013, and still does on another machine.

Here's the autogenerated email I get when I do add the account to outlook:

==========================================================

Dear Outlook.com customer,
To finalize your upgrade to the new Outlook.com, it’s necessary that you reconnect Outlook 2016 or Outlook 2013 to your Outlook.com account. It appears that you have not yet reconnected your account, and as a result, your Outlook.com emails are no longer syncing to your desktop version of Outlook.
What you need to do: Reconnect your desktop version of Outlook to your Outlook.com account to resume access.
You can access step-by-step instructions to reconnect your account at our official Microsoft support website at I can't see my Outlook.com email in Outlook 2016 or Outlook 2013.

Once you reconnect, your Outlook.com emails will resume syncing to your desktop version of Outlook. Note that your Outlook.com email account is still active and all your messages remain accessible via a web browser.
We recognize that having to reconnect your account is inconvenient. Taking this action ensures that you are able to take full advantage of the new Outlook.com, and we’re confident you will love the benefits and performance of the upgrade. If you have any questions not answered by the support article above, please contact customer support at Microsoft Support.

Thank you for being an Outlook.com customer.
Sincerely,
The Outlook.com team
====================================================================

Continue reading...

Back