Old unused laptop, W's8, Network Probs and generally lost.

• Thread starter Thread starter FeFiFoDUMB
  • Start date Start date
F

FeFiFoDUMB

Ok, so thanks in advance.

A quick summing up first, it's a Toshiba satellite Pro touchscreen, new when bought, used for 3 weeks, not used for over a year (?)

Network issues, connecting to the internet through the browser but won't connect through the tabs on the alternate start page.

McAfee wouldn't connect saying no internet connection while it was obviously connected to internet, now uninstalled and using windows defender which is saying the same while internet is working on browser.

Something called FipS 802.11 was enabled, federal info processing service?? I've never heard of it, disabled it.

My WiFi hub has 2.4 and 5.0 connections, the laptop is connected via 2.4 yet on windows defender it states

"Active connection is Bthub 5.0" although it's never been connected to that.

Want to know if i can factory reset it and will windows still be installed?

Other problems

A few years back i got a Toshiba Satellite pro touchscreen, used it for 3 weeks then got addicted to my son's new Xbox one so that was the end of that, until the other day that is.

I dug it out as i wanted to root some phones, can't do that on a Chromebook.

Anyway, the laptop seems to work fine when using Chrome, IE and Bing etc (I've not experimented fully) connects to everything no problem but through the alternative start screen with tabs to the email, the apps and everything else, most don't work, keep saying no internet connection when there clearly is.

I can't connect to the appstore, don't even know if i should still be able on Windows 8??

But pretty sure i should be able to access the mail, nothing, no internet connection again, so i sent an email to myself at Gmail, took a day but it arrived, seemingly when the laptop was either turned off or just starting up or shutting down.

Yet when i opened the email app it didn't even say it had sent an email, nothing in inbox, outbox, sent etc, strange?

Can't remember how many of those tabs won't work but Bing weather is upto date and running along with a few others so can't work it out, figured it would be all the tabs unable to connect, could understand that but some working most not?

The laptop came installed with Mcafree and a few months free, right from the off I'd have problems, it would connect to the internet to say i had problems but when id click on the link provided to fix it would say, "No internet, can't connect" while simultaneously connected to several sites via the browser.

Never sorted it and as soon as i rebooted it the other day i unistalled it and started, using windows defender but still having similar probs with that, firewall problem maybe??

I've forgot what the settings should be but it's at block any incoming if rules aren't correct (?) but allow all outgoing connections if rules aren't correct.

There's 3 WiFi profiles on Defender, Public, Private and one other i forget at the moment but even though the laptop is connecting to the frequency 2.4 it's showing the "Active connection' as being the 5.0, which the laptop doesn't connect too as it's two different passwords.

Don't understand that at all.

Further checking showed lots of odd settings on the laptop that i definitely didn't do myself, maybe it's default, like remote access was on, full remote access, i forget everything because i changed it right away as it seemed odd.

Then i looked at another setting that was turned on in wi-fi settings that I've never even heard of before,

"Enable Federal information processing standards" 802.11 FIPS Which was ticked and enabled.

Now maybe I'm paranoid but anything with the word Federal in the sentence made me feel a little weird :-/ so i dusabled that straight away and just Googling info about it, FIPS.

Now apps used to work because i downloaded some and it was only a year ago, now i keep getting

"No apps are installed to open this kind of link"

I originally only intended to make this a short post but I've run away with myself and still not included everything, maybe I'll do it later.

I'm mostly just asking for help with the network issues, why it's connecting through the browser (haven't tried Microsoft apps) but not through the tabs.

What the hell that FipS is all about, why remote access was turned on and any other general help to get this laptop usable for general browsing, email, YouTube etc oh and of course rooting my phone's (maybe downloading something to learn PGP encryption)

And should i update the Bios?? McAfee kept searching for updates when it was installed and most were bios uodates, i was dubious about updating because i don't know what I'm doing :-)

Lastly, if i reset the laptop either partially or a full factory reset would it revert back to its original new state like when i first booted it or would i need to download windows from some outside source? It didn't come with a disc or usb, it was already installed.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the length..

Continue reading...

Back