"NLS data" BsoD - Old .cat missing its .mum?

• Thread starter Thread starter JohnBreen3
  • Start date Start date
J

JohnBreen3

For over a week now, I've been fighting a BSoD problem created when I foolishly ran Dell's Alien Respawn tool. You can read that whole saga here:

I think I might have found the cause, so I'm posting a fresh, direct (sort of) question: looking at the DISMRepairLogFile.txt file, I mostly see missing-file errors referencing filenames like:

\\?\C:\Windows\Servicing\Packages\[...]~amd64~en-US~10.0.10586.0.mum​

There are 16 filenames like this listed, all with "10.0.10586.0.mum" in their name. The listed .mum files are indeed missing, but there are corresponding .cat files, all from 2015 or 2016. Interestingly, there are a lot more *10.0.10586.0.cat files missing a corresponding .mum file that don't give errors.

Besides these, there are three missing .mum files mentioned with KB numbers in their names, also from 2015 or 2016.

Could these files be the cause of the BSoD? After all, most of them appear to be NLS related. Is there a clean way to remove them (using the Recovery command line)? I've seen mention of the following command, but I'd like some concurrence before I try it:

[COLOR=rgba(42, 0, 170, 1)]DISM /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup[/COLOR]​

although in my case, from the Recovery command line, I assume it would be more like:

[COLOR=rgba(42, 0, 170, 1)]DISM /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup[/COLOR]​

Continue reading...

Back