Need Help Pinpointing Cause Of STOP: 0x000000F4 BSOD (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit)

• Thread starter Thread starter Matt_W.
  • Start date Start date
M

Matt_W.

Hello Microsoft community. Long time user, first time poster. I hope someone here can help me get to the bottom of my issue. Please bear with me as I lay out the details of how I've reached the point I'm at now.

I have as my primary PC a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit laptop I purchased in 2012. I replaced the hard drive it was shipped with in February of last year (2018) when it finally reached the end of it's life cycle. I replaced it with the same Seagate 750 GB 7200RPM model drive it shipped with.

Everything since then has been fine, until last weekend: the evening of March 30, 2019, to be exact. I had zero issues with my PC. I kept it as well-maintained and up-to-date as I could. Every week I've been running a scheduled defragmentation, a full system scan with ESET NOD32 Antivirus (I'm a paid subscriber), and a full system scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I've never had any virus or malware detections, and my drive has remained at 0% fragmented. I also make sure to stay updated with the very latest Windows updates. I check for new updates at 9 PM every night.

As mentioned, on March 30th, something happened. While my PC was idle, and I was in another room watching television, it shut off. I came back to my PC to check something about half an hour after moving into the other room, and saw it had restarted. At that point, I didn't suspect anything out of the ordinary. We'd had sustained gusting winds that night, so my first assumption was that a tree limb blew onto a line somewhere nearby and caused a momentary power outage. I restarted, logged back in, and had no issues again until 4 days later on April 3rd, when the same thing happened. This time, I had been away from the PC and in another part of the house all day. At about 1 PM I came back to the PC and saw it had again restarted.

This time there was perfect weather outside, so I knew something strange had to be going on. I checked the Event Viewer logs and sure enough two instances of an ID 41 Kernel Power event were logged, one from March 30th at 7:20 PM, and one from April 3rd at 1:02 PM. I scanned the forums here and elsewhere looking to see if anyone else was experiencing this, and saw a few standard responses, which I then tried. I ran sfc/scannow from an elevated command prompt (no issues detected), did a clean re-install of my graphics card driver (Nvidia GTX 560M 391.35), and ran a scan with the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool, which found no problems.

This leads me nearly to the point I'm at now, except for one final, important detail. I decided to manually run a system defragmentation last night a little after 10PM, and while it was running, a STOP BSOD was triggered. I logged back in, and after scouring through some forum posts a while, ran it again, and the same thing happened. I ran it again a little while later and this time I had my phone on to capture what was on the screen. The error code was STOP: 0x000000F4 (0xFFFFFA8010FA5A40, 0xFFFFFA8010FA5D20, 0xFFFFF800031740E0).

I'm attaching a screen shot as well for proof:

4e5a1bcc-2826-40cf-95d5-cf4bebadf180?upload=true.jpg

What makes this so strange is that the weekly defragmentation I run always happens at 6 AM on Wednesdays; in other words, definitely not the time that the prior BSODs were triggered. It just so happens that running the defragmenter is triggering it as well, each time around halfway through pass #5. I ran full scans with Malwarebytes and NOD32 again to see if anything would show up, but again, nothing was detected with either program.

I'm at a loss now, and I need help from you guys for the next step of diagnosing this. I've never gone through the debugging process, but it appears I have no other choice now. I'm willing to do anything to not have to deal with my PC randomly BSODing. I'd really appreciate someone guiding me through what to do next. Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Continue reading...

Back