Need a way to reset the display resolution of Alan Wake for PC from the Epic Games store

• Thread starter Thread starter cr8zyfoo
  • Start date Start date
C

cr8zyfoo

Original problem is that some graphics were displaying incorrectly, and as I worked through the display options trying to fix them, I made it down to display resolutions. It was playing in 1920x1080, and I switched it to the next resolution down, 1768x992, which caused it to immediately crash. It now no longer starts, displaying the error message "Alan Wake could not initialize your 3D graphics card. Please see that your system conforms with the minimum specification and ensure you have the latest graphics card drivers installed. Technical: DEVICE_CREATE_ERROR - Invalid call".

My online search for answers all points to solutions that work within the frame of the Steam launcher, such as forcing the program to start in a different resolution. I did not purchase it from the Steam games store, which no longer sells Alan Wake, but the Epic games store, which now has it. The Epic game store also stores the game files differently, using .dll instead of .xml, so I cannot edit the resolution.xml with notepad, as it no longer exists. I have tried verifying Alan Wake within the Epic Games launcher, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, I have tried deleting all the game files in C:\Program Files\Epic Games\AlanWake and reinstalling. I have set my NVIDIA display settings to override the scaling mode set by games to 1920x1080. I searched for Alan Wake in regedit with no success. Not certain what else I could do to reset the display settings at this point. I have started another game from the Epic Games launcher (Satisfactory) and it has worked fine.

I reached out to the Epic Games store for assistance, and they apologized and directed me to Nitro Games, who did all the work on platform porting. Nitro Games apologized and directed me to Remedy Games, saying, "I know that this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but unfortunately, we can't help you at all as we have no in-depth knowledge of the game nor any tools related to their game anymore." I attempted to reach Remedy Games, but their website directs any search for assistance with several games including Alan Wake straight to the Xbox/Microsoft website. So here I am.

TL;DR, changed resolution and broke Alan Wake for PC (through Epic, not Steam). Need a way to reset resolution to get the game to run again.

Continue reading...

Back