ms minecraft listens on random (not fixed) port - impossible to set properly port forwarding.

• Thread starter Thread starter Gregorymp80
  • Start date Start date
G

Gregorymp80

I am trying to host a minecraft game (windows 10, from microsoft store) so friends (over the internet) could join my kids.

The problem has been narrowed down to ports minecraft is using.

It seems that besides 19132 udp/tcp which everyone is aware of, minecraft picks one random udp port (different every time you start the game) and that random port is used for rakenet communication.

Because it is random, it is impossible to properly setup port forwarding and firewall.

As a workaround I start a game, run netstat to check which port minecraft picked this time, quickly go to my router configuration and add that port to forwarding configuration. This makes it work but it is unacceptable. A server using random port each time to listen on doesn't make any sense.

I hope there is way to force a specific port somewhere in the configuration. Can someone tell me how to do this or this a "way" to force us into buying "realms"

I hope this the right place to ask this question?.I was looking to find a technical support contact for this minecraft (microsoft) game but I've failed.

Continue reading...

Back