Microsoft store and store app do not appear in Settings/Apps, and they both crash in a few seconds after opening

• Thread starter Thread starter bkspero
  • Start date Start date
B

bkspero

The problem of the Microsoft Store crashing immediately after opening has been an issue for others (for example, see Get-AppxPackage : The database disk image is malformed). I have not seen it, however, paired with the Store or the other Store App I have installed (Solitare Epic) not showing up in Settings/Apps (or anywhere else except the Start Menu).

When I tried the recommended fix in the link above, it fails. When I issue the command to "del StateRepository-*", it gives, for each file name, a message saying "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." This happens even if I run the command immediately after a reboot (although Chrome is running so I can copy/paste the commands).

I have also tried the steps to do several things recommended on this page (Windows Store Closes Immediately After Opening) to repair the store, but none worked. The most powerful seemed to be to Uninstall/Reinstall the store app in Powershell (administrator) using "Get-AppxPackage -allusers *WindowsStore* | Remove-AppxPackage". But that command fails with the message:

Get-AppxPackage : The database disk image is malformed
The database disk image is malformed
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-AppxPackage -allusers *WindowsStore* | Remove-AppxPackage
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-AppxPackage], Exception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Exception,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.GetAppxPackageCommand

I get a message about a malformed database in several other commands, as well.

I even did a reinstall of Windows (10, version 1909) keeping files and apps as a last ditch repair. It took a long time, but went to completion. Unfortunately, it did not correct this issue.

So, any other suggestions on how I can get the Microsoft Store App and Solitare Epic to: 1) run without immediately crashing, and 2) show up in Settings/Apps and elsewhere other than the Start Menu?

Continue reading...

Back