KMS Server Issues in Lab Environment (Windows Server 2016 Domain)

• Thread starter Thread starter VigilanteJustis
  • Start date Start date
V

VigilanteJustis

I'm not sure where to direct this but, I'm having a licensing issue in my lab environment. I have volume licensing, but have been using an old piece of hardware for a domain controller and KMS host with active directory activation. That system is currently out of commission due to hardware issues, and I'm trying to setup a KMS host on another spare device I have, but when I try to activate the KMS online I get the following error:

"The activation server reported that the product key has exceeded its unlock limit."

I'm not sure if this is due to the hardware change or the regular creation and destruction of virtual machines for testing. I'm not too familiar with the volume licensing on the back end, but is there a way to reclaim activations if the servers have been decommissioned?

I have some access to the Volume Licensing Service Center, enough to view the MAK keys and number of activations as well as the KMS keys. I prefer using a KMS server with Active Directory activation since this is for a lab environment with VMs that are effectively used only temporary.

Oh, this is running on Windows Server 2016 Datacenter. I've tried Windows Server 2016 Standard, but they have the same KMS key in the VLSC.

What's the best/easiest way to resolve this? Is there any kind of portal or anything to, for lack of a better term "de-license" devices that haven't communicated in a certain amount of time that I know have been definitively decommissioned?

Any help would be appreciated.

Continue reading...

Back