Is it possible that My CPU and Memory are being burdened without any indication from task manager?

• Thread starter Thread starter Tbilt
  • Start date Start date
T

Tbilt

Ryzen 3 3.5Ghz Processor

16Gb of DDR4 ram 3000Mhz

2 TB secondary HDD
250Gb SSD Disc

Windows 10 1903 64 bit

Hello 3 or 4 days ago my computer suddenly began performing as though the memory resources were being over burdened. I did buy and install two games from steam that day, but I think this is just a coincidence, since the two games were each like 5gigs in size, and it's not just the games that the computer is executing poorly. At first I thought this might have been due to an update, since I remember a windows 10 update from last year causing a similar problem (where my cpu and memory were constantly at 99% do to a bug with several background processes.) But what's different in this case is that task manager does not say that I'm using any more resources than I normally use.

I use this pc for gaming, making music, and recording/editing video. I don't have any additional antivirus on it, but I also don't do anything suspect like **** pirate movies. In fact I never even use the web browser unless I need to open my email to authorize a piece of software (I do not download any pirated software or freeware.)

I have never had any performance trouble with this PC, and cpu and memory usage tend to idle around 40%, maybe closer to 50% during my most strenuous multitasking.

I have tried:

rebooting the computer

optimization/disc cleanup (there is no fragmentation)

updating to current version/drivers

converting to low usage/performance settings on all of my apps and games,

According to Windows Defender there are no threats

There is no overheating within the computer (This computer has ample cooling)

There are 60GB available on the SSD and over 1TB available on the secondary drive

This computer is a little over a year old.

I do leave the computer on alot, 3-4 days at a time, but I restart it several times a week and will completely turn it off at least once a week

Currently I am considering doing the Fresh Start since that's essentially what fixed the computer last time, but I want to understand what caused this in case it happens again.

Thanks!

Continue reading...

Back