Internet Fails under any usage, reconnects when idle

• Thread starter Thread starter GReddy2387
  • Start date Start date
G

GReddy2387

The current problem that I am having is that the wireless connection on my desktop will fail once I try using it (ie. loading a webpage or running a speed test). The problem has just happened, and the only change is that we recently moved from our own modem and router (which was apparently dying) over to the Xfinity xFi modem/router. With the change over, we have multiple different devices that connect to our wireless and one on ethernet. 2 smartphones, 1 Macintosh laptop, and 1 Windows 10 Desktop with onboard wi-fi. We also have 1 game console that connects via ethernet directly to the xFi modem. prior to the change over, and the reason for the change to the xFi modem, all devices were running speed tests of about 6/1 MB/s on a plan that we should be receiving 600/20 MB/s. This was the same for all devices on the wifi (including the Windows 10 PC), where as the ethernet gaming console was getting about 200/15 on the wired connection. After switching over to the xFi router, the speed for each devices were as follows:

Game Console : 320/18

Macbook : 460/11

2 Smartphones : ~215/17

Windows 10 PC : failed to connect for test

The internet on the PC would show as connected, as soon as the speed test was initiated (ookla SpeedTest for desktop) the internet would disconnect.

The following troubleshoots were tried:

Resetting the PC

Resetting the modem

Changing the SSID and password of the WiFi network

Uninstalling/reinstalling Wi-Fi network adapter

Updating the driver to the latest version

ipconfig/flushdns via administrative command prompt

ipconfig/release via administrative command prompt

ipconfig/renew via administrative command prompt

netsh winsock reset via administrative command prompt

netsh int ip reset via administrative command prompt

Changed from dynamic DNS to Google Public DNS via Wi-Fi properties for both IPv4 and IPv6 protocols

Deselected "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" via both IPv4/IPv6 Advanced TPC/IP Settings

As of this point I'm at a loss. The most recent change was the last one, and after that, I was able to get a webpage to load (youtube.com) and was able to complete my first of 2 speed tests. The first test primarily ran at about .09 MB/s download until the last second it shot up to 20 MB/s and gave me final numbers of 20/10. The second test which I conducted seconds later, never spiked and instead returned results of .09/15. I tried running a 3rd test and the SpeedTest app disconnected from the internet, but my notifications still suggest I have internet.

While normally I would be on the bandwagon of this is comcasts fault, the fact that everything else in the home is working flawlessley on the new xFi modem would lead me to suggest that this is very specific to the Windows 10 PC. But the fact that this same PC was working as good or better than any other device in the home prior to the change over of modems, leads me to believe that its more of a file corruption than it is a hardware issue.

Just incase its relevant, below are what I believe would be the pertinent computer components:

Windows 10 Pro build 19041.388

MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC motherboard with Intel Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz network adapter

Does anyone know of any other changes that I could try to do in order to get this to work again?

Thank you in advance.

Continue reading...

Back