Install a certificate for remote desktop via powershell or any tool I can automate by providing a pfx at this point.

• Thread starter Thread starter Darkassassin07
  • Start date Start date
D

Darkassassin07

I have been trying for 3 years now to automate this stupid process, but I can't find info anywhere and can't get replies to pleas for help.

For the love of god help me please..... :(

Here's what I have so far (powershell) running on windows 10 pro.

#Remove Old Cert

get-childitem "cert:\LocalMachine\My" |Where-Object { $_.Subject -like "*mydomain.example*" } | Remove-Item

#get new cert and import to store

$PasswordPfx = ConvertTo-SecureString -String "cert-password-example" -Force -AsPlainText

$newCertPfx = Import-PfxCertificate -FilePath "C:\Users\Darkassassin07\Documents\SSL\Active Cert\pfx.pfx" -Password $PasswordPfx -CertStoreLocation "Cert:\LocalMachine\My" -Exportable

#get rdp object

$wmi = (Get-WmiObject "Win32_TSGeneralSetting" -Namespace root\cimv2\terminalservices -Filter "TerminalName='RDP-tcp'")

#set thumb of rdp

Set-WmiInstance -InputObject $wmi -argument @{SSLCertificateSHA1Hash=$newCertPfx.Thumbprint}

This functions alright, replaces the self-signed cert or the currently active cert. until you restart the machine. Then all attempts to connect fail. Re-running the script does nothing. Deleting the installed cert does nothing until you restart the whole machine returning to a self-signed cert.

Restarting TerminalServices doesn't help, I have to remove the installed cert and restart the machine to get it functioning again.

The Set-RDCertificate cmdlet is empty, it contains no commands and isn't functional. Don't know why or how or what to do about it.

I'm at a total loss. My head hurts, I just don't know any more what to even look at. 3 years, and it still may as well be a manual process. I want to scream.

Continue reading...

Back