INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE after restoring 256GB M.2 SATA image to 1TB NVMe

• Thread starter Thread starter Shadow42
  • Start date Start date
S

Shadow42

So my Asus Q406D 2 in 1 laptop came with a 256GB M.2 SATA SSD, and I want to upgrade it to 1TB. I have a 1TB NVME PCIe Gen 3x4 that was in my Dell that died so I want to put that drive in it. I used Macrium Reflect to make an image of the SATA SSD, I swapped the SATA out for the NVMe, and ran the Macrium PE tool to restore the image to the NVMe drive. After the tool completes "successfully" I restarted the computer and get stuck in an "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE" and "Windows failed to start" loop. I then tried restarting in the Macrium PE and used the 'Fix boot problems' tool but it didn't help. Windows Startup repair can't do anything running off either the 'Recovery' partition or off a USB drive. I then installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on the NVMe and it works fine, so there is nothing wrong with the drive or M.2 slot.

I then put the SATA SSD back in it and used Windows Image backup to create a system image which I then restored to the NVMe drive, with the same result. Fast Boot & Secure boot are both disabled, bcdboot says it completes but the issue is still present. From a Windows Installation USB drive's recovery environment, I tried running 'bootrec /scanos' (wich says 0 windows installs found) 'bootrec /fixmbr' (says completes successfully) 'bootrec /fixboot' (says Access denied) 'bootrec /rebuildbcd' (also says 0 identified windows installations) If I run dir on the C: I can see the Program Files & Windows directories, and in the Windows directory there is what appears to be all the expected system files, so I don't know how it is not detecting Windows. the system partition has an 'EFI\Microsotf\Boot' directory in the structure. How do I get Windows to boot off the NVMe drive!?!

Continue reading...

Back