I no longer have my activation key! This PC is over 8 years old!

• Thread starter Thread starter putzfactor
  • Start date Start date
P

putzfactor

Okay, so I decided to finally upgrade my old computer. I replaced only the motherboard and CPU and increased my memory to 16 gigs. When I originally bought this PC I believe it had Windows 7 on it, which over time I have upgraded to Windows 10. So after I updated my hardware I noticed that my Windows was no longer activated.

After talking to 3 different reps at Microsoft, not one of the could relate to the fact that I've had this computer for years. I NO LONGER HAVE THE PAPERWORK! Is that so hard to believe? Is it that incredible that I haven't kept track of my product key for umpteen years?

I have no clue where my product key is after like 8+ years and 3 separate moves ago. I was informed that I now have to rebuy Windows 10 Pro because I no longer can produce a product key, and according to one of the reps I spoke to there is absolutely no recourse.

I can't afford to pay $200 for Windows 10 Pro, again. This is insanity! I don't accept that there is no recourse. Surely there has to be an exception. If I had the product key I would provide it. I don't have it anymore.

Can someone at Microsoft provide assistance here? I don't think I should have to buy Windows all over again when it was working perfectly fine prior to my computer upgrade 2 days ago. This makes no sense to me whatsoever and just doesn't seem fair.

Thank you.

Continue reading...

Back