I deleted the entire \Windows\System32\Drivers\etc folder a couple weeks ago. How do I restore them?

• Thread starter Thread starter benpashiro
  • Start date Start date
B

benpashiro

I ran an anti malware scan using HitmanPro and it detected the hosts file to be infected so I deleted that and the other contents of the folder quite foolishly under the assumption that they were all infected. I haven't run into any direct issues after deleting these files except maybe some weird behaviour from my Firefox browser and also the Spotify desktop app not behaving properly to quite a degree. I did the first thing that made sense which was to create a default hosts file and place it into the etc folder but then I realised there were other files missing as well so I created them and named them whatever they were named on other computers hoping windows would know what to do with them but I'm still quite unsure if this fixed the problem. I've ran the system repair commands and they didn't seem to find any problems with the system files so I don't know what to do next.

I do want to remind you that my Spotify app has been behaving weirdly since I deleted them and I wish to recover these files in the hopes that it will fix how spotify interacts with my home network. And no they are not in my recycle bin anymore.

Continue reading...

Back