How to solve WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE ERROR blue screen on PC

• Thread starter Thread starter LaurenceChurcher
  • Start date Start date
L

LaurenceChurcher

Hi guys, I've had a recurring problem on my gaming PC where the PC will freeze up, show a blue screen with the error code WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE ERROR and then crash and restart. This is occasionally followed by an error message saying that my CPU Fan has recorded overheating and take me to the BIOS screen on restart although this is not always the case.

This often happens on specific games, although it can happen at any point some games seem to cause this to happen far often. These games are not necessarily the most hardware intensive games and for example my PC can run The Witcher 3 on max settings fine but could then crash while playing Europa Universalis 4 or a total war game.

The PC is an older PC which ive had since I was younger but kept and upgraded over time. I didnt play it for a couple of years while I was at uni but think the problem might have started before then, although I dont remember it being as bad.

So far I've tried updating my BIOS, replacing my CPU fan, updating graphics card drivers and all other hardware drivers through the device manager. I appreciate that more information is probably needed to support me to fix this although I figured rather than overload everyone with the information it could be easier if people could ask me for what information they might find helpful. PC is not overclocked and all BIOS settings are set to default. Specs are as following:

Windows 10 pro

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-Deluxe/USB 3.1

Processor: Intel i7 4790k. Originally installed with the CPU fan which came with the processor but when I started seeing the CPU fan overheat messages on reboot I replaced it with an Arctic Freezer i13 X and replaced the thermal paste, although this does not seem to have fixed the problem.

RAM: 16GB

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980

Storage: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB.

Please let me know if you need any more system specs

Continue reading...

Back