How to get the popup when you plug a device into the audio jack in Windows 10

• Thread starter Thread starter smartblonde329
  • Start date Start date
S

smartblonde329

After the most recent Windows Updates, suddenly the popup asking me which device I plugged into my audio jack stopped popping up. Unfortunately, along with this change, I noticed a difference in sound quality when I plugged in my headphones. So I started my search on how to get that popup back and found an old thread about the same issue - but - for Windows 8. I noticed some people asked later about how to do the fix in Windows 10 but didn't see any replies. I'm guessing others may be having the same issue, and this was how I fixed it.

In the event you aren't sure how to get to the Control Panel, I just used my Cortana search for the Control Panel app. I then clicked on Hardware and Sound. My computer is a Dell, so I clicked on Dell Audio. That launched my Dell Audio window. At the top there are 4 "tabs"; I clicked on the "Advanced" tab. Then I clicked on "Jack Information". It then showed a graphic/picture of the jack...and below that a box with "Enable auto popup dialog when device has been plugged in". I noticed the box was unchecked, so I checked it and closed the window. I then tried plugging in my headphones and now the popup works again.

After looking at a couple more suggestions posted, including showing screenshots of the Realtek icon and people replying they didn't have that particular icon, I looked at my icons. I didn't see that exact icon either, but I did see an icon that looked like a speaker (although a little different from what was shown in the posted screenshots). I tried double-clicking that icon, and it brought up my Dell Audio window as well, so that's just a little quicker than opening up the Control Panel and then clicking on Hardware and Sound then clicking Dell Audio.

The old thread that triggered my finding the solution for me said to do a windows+x, but I think after the upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8, I stopped seeing the Control Panel listed that way. So, it may be if someone doesn't see a speaker to get the audio window to popup to explore getting that auto popup dialog enabled, starting with Control Panel will be a starting place for you. I'm no computer whiz and maybe someone has posted something along these lines already and I just didn't find it (if so, my apologies!), but I hope this is of some help to someone who is having the same problem I was but needed the little boost from the Windows 8 solution to one for a computer running on Windows 10.

Continue reading...

Back