How do I Connect My Surface to Hotel Wi-Fi?

• Thread starter Thread starter Preston Park
  • Start date Start date
P

Preston Park

When I connect to public wifi on normal devices - Apple, Android, toasters, whatever, the non-Windows devices show a browser page and allow me to accept terms to get connected.

On Microsoft Surface, it simply says “No Internet, open”. I’ve tried rebooting — which I pretty much have to do every time I change wifi networks anyway, running the troubleshooter, turning wifi off and on, disabling and re-enabling the adapter, and flushing the DNS. I’ve done driver-reinstalls previously in the vain hope it would solve the problem of having to reboot every time I connected to a different network.

The troubleshooter says “Windows can’t communicate with the device or resource…” I can’t post the entire log because I am typing this on my iPad. (I think pretty much everyone but Microsoft knows how to make their wifi-enabled products work without much fuss).

I have this problem every time I travel. I think I may have randomly managed to get it to work last time — or maybe I just had my Mac with me.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get this thing to work short of buying a wireless access point to bring with me everywhere. This is so stupid frustrating.

Continue reading...

Back